Deluxe Cataract Surgery

Deluxe Cataract Surgery

Fishers and Carmel Locations

Cataract surgery is often recommended when the lens of your eye has lost its transparency and your vision has become cloudy.

This is not an unusual condition and the odds of developing cataracts increases with age. Dr. Barrett can perform cataract surgery on an outpatient basis with minimal discomfort. Dr. Barrett is able to solve your problem by removing your damaged lens and permanently implanting a new acrylic lens.

During the surgery, Dr. Barrett will:

  • Put you under local anesthesia. This will help relax you and you may even drift off to sleep during the surgery.
  • Dilate your pupils
  • Remove the clouded lens
  • Implant a new, clear artificial lens

You will be asked to wear an eye patch for several hours after your surgery is completed to help protect your new lens. Once you have removed the eye patch your vision should improve and your eye should heal within several days. You are advised to avoid any heavy lifting, bending or straining for one week following surgery. It is also important that you avoid rubbing your eyes for one week following surgery.

This is an exciting time in many areas ophthalmology and cataract surgery is no exception. Today's cataract surgeries are performed with small incisions that do not even require stitches. High speed ultrasound is used to remove the cataracts and the procedure typically only takes 10-15 minutes. At Barrett Eye Care we use all of the latest and most innovative technology to help ensure that your surgery is a successful one. Two, new, deluxe lenses were recently approved by the FDA. These lenses give our patients a choice of the type of vision they would like to have following cataract surgery.

When Dr. Barrett performs the procedure and implants a new lens in your eye, you will have a choice as to the type of lens that you would like to have implanted. The choice of lens will determine your level of spectacle independence following cataract surgery. A very high percentage of our patients (over 98%) will see better following cataract surgery with glasses. The choice of lens only affects the need for glasses after surgery. Below we will describe the options that our cataract patients have.

Option 1: Standard Intraocular Lens

This is the standard lens that we place in a majority of our patients. It is a monofocal lens which means that it allows for excellent vision at one point in the distance without glasses. A large majority of our patients will see well in the distance without glasses but almost all patients will need glasses to read. Some patients with astigmatism or residual refractive error will still need to wear bi-focals to maximize their distance and near vision. If you are not bothered by wearing glasses or if spectacle independence is not important to you, then this is the lens for you. This lens is covered by Medicare and all insurance companies and thus there is no extra out-of-pocket charge to you.

Option 2: Deluxe Intraocular Lens (TORIC Intraocular Lens)

This is a deluxe lens which was approved by the FDA to correct our patients with astigmatism. This lens uses astigmatism correction to help maximize distance vision without glasses. Approximately 90% of our patients who receive this lens do not use glasses for distance at all. The other 10% may require glasses in some settings to help sharpen their distance vision. This lens does not affect intermediate or near vision and thus glasses would be required for reading and computer work. Patients can typically use "over-the-coutner" reading glasses for near tasks. The design of this lens is to provide most patients with spectacle independence for distance vision only. If you have astigmatism and do not like to wear glasses for distance vision and are interested in trying to achieve spectacle independence for distance vision following your cataract surgery, then this is a lens for you to consider. This lens is becoming more and more popular with approximately 50% of our qualified "astigamatism patients" choosing this lens. Unfortunately, this lens is considered a "deluxe" lens and thus is not covered by Medicare or other insurance companies. Your out-of-pocket cost for this lens is $900.00 per eye.

Option 3: Deluxe Intraocular Lens (RESTOR Intraocular Lens)

This is a deluxe lens which was approved by the FDA several years ago. This lens uses diffraction optics to help maximize both distance and near vision without glasses. Intermediate vision may still be a little blurry with this lens. Approximately 80% of our patients who receive this lens do not use glasses at all. The other 20% generally require occasional reading glasses or computer glasses to help sharpen their vision. Given the design of the lens, some patients experience glare and haloes, especially when driving at night, but these symptoms generally improve with time. Restor lens patients do sacrifice a little "quality" of vision to gain better depth of vision at all distances without glasses. If you do not like to wear glasses and are interested in trying to achieve spectacle independence following your cataract surgery, then this is a lens to consider. Unfortunately, this lens is considered a "deluxe" lens and thus is not covered by Medicare or other insurance companies. Your out-of-pocket cost for this lens is $1,900.00 per eye.

Both of these lenses are revolutionary new designs which will continue to transform our results following cataract surgery. If you or someone you know has cataracts, please contact us to see if one of these new, deluxe lenses is right for you.

Contact Us